The purpose of Labregister is to list items for convenient availability. The following article shows how to add items.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Add items manually
- Import an existing inventory
Add items manually
- To add items manually, click add items manually.
- Fill Attributes. At least the mandatory one(s). And click SAVE.
Note: Because mandatory Attributes must be filled, it ought to be carefully considered which ones to create in this way. If, for example, you create "stock" as mandatory, a value must always be entered, even if an item is created and it is yet unclear what the status of the stock is and you would rather leave it blank for the time being.
- Repeat for each item.
Import an existing inventory
You can import an existing inventory to Labregister. The existing inventory list should be prepared in the form of an MS Excel worksheet. First, to ensure an error free import, your Excel inventory file has to be formatted according to certain guidelines. When the file is prepared, the Excel-to-Labregister import functionality will add your inventory items from the Excel worksheet to a corresponding inventory category and each column will be mapped as a category’s attribute.
Note: When importing, one Excel worksheet corresponds to one Category. While you can only import a worksheet at a time, your file may contain several worksheets; in which case, a dropdown is offered to select the respective worksheet.
Preparing the Excel file
- The import file must be an .xlsx file.
- The file should contain fewer than 10,000 items/rows and be smaller than 25MB.
- Include a header row in your file.
- Each column header should correspond to an attribute that exists for the inventory list being imported.
- During the import process, column headers of the Excel will match to the attributes in Labregister. Where needed, you can manually map those.
- Avoid merging cells in your sheet. One header should be associated with only one column.
- Excel columns must correspond to one of the following attribute types:
- Short Text: Allows for all character types, such as letters, special characters and numbers. Character limit of 200.
- Long Text: Allows for all character types, such as letters, special characters and numbers. Character limit of 16.000.
- Number: Numeric values only! Please note that Labregister indicates decimals with a dot (so 1,25 will be displayed as 1.25)
- Hyperlink: Allows for the display of URLs in the Labregister.
- Dates: Will be displayed in the format DD.MM.YYYY
- Dropdown: A selection of text fields, allowing for all character types.
- Barcode: Can be added as text field values and will be presented as Code 128 or Data Matrix.
- The Name Attribute cannot be empty, because it is mandatory!
Preparing an inventory category for import
- Add a new category via the button in the left-hand panel.
- Name the category.
- Insert attributes according to the column header of the Excel file you’d like to import.
- Press save and continue by uploading your inventory.
Note: When assigning the category attributes, text allows for all types of characters, whereas numbers only accept numeric values (no hyphens or units allowed) and date fields will be described as DD.MM.YYYY.
Importing Excel files to an inventory category
- Click on IMPORT FROM EXCEL.
- Click on SELECT FILE.
- Match the attributes. The order can be changed by drag-and-drop cklicking the equals symbol.
- When you are done matching, click on the upload symbol in the upper right corner.
Tip: You can bulk import items into an existing Category as well. Since every item is getting a unique Item ID by the system, accidentally (or intentionally) adding an identical item to an existing one will not cause system errors.
Troubleshooting - common errors
Note: Since the import is executed automatically, errors occur because technical requirements are not met. We have compiled a collection of known errors, their causes, and their treatment in the article Import Troubleshooting. Please, read the article before filing a ticket!